Kilfinane Convent opened on the 15th October 1903. The plan was to take over an existing national school and eventually to establish a secondary school and to visit the sick. Buildings were erected as they became necessary. Boarding facilities were made available to meet the needs of the pupils drawn from a population scattered over a large area.
The school became co-educational in 1968 and a new Scoil Pól was built in 1987. Two Sisters continue to teach in the secondary school while one Sister from Kilfinane teaches in Croom Primary School. In 1996 the last Sister left Kilfinane Primary school. The Sisters continue to work in the parish being involved in organisations like St. Vincent de Paul society, the Red Cross and the Housing Committee.